Sunday, August 21, 2016

Harlech Castle

Harlech Castle rises up from a spur of rock above the Irish Sea. Like many Welsh castles, it was built by Edward I as part of his campaign to subdue the Welsh. But the history of the site goes back much farther than the medieval era. Harlech is linked to the classic Welsh tales of the Mabinogion, which opens with the king of Britain sitting by the Irish Sea at Harlech.

Harlech is very square, solid and impressive. The castle was nearly impregnable, with no easy way for an enemy to reach it.
When Harlech was built, it was much closer to the sea. A natural channel made it possible for boats to travel all the way up to the castle's moat.
There is still a stone staircase of 200 steps which once led down to the dock where ships dropped off supplies.
 
From the other side of the castle you can see the Welsh mountains in the distance. 


The castle was an important stronghold throughout the Middle Ages. It played a part in the Welsh uprising in the 1400's led by Owain Glywyr and also in the War of the Roses. 

 
My favorite part of Harlech was the towers. I climbed every one, so I could enjoy the sense of being on top of the world.
 
I also had a great time strolling through the village of Harlech, where I admired a beautiful ginger cat and was intrigued by a "soul food" restaurant with an impressively authentic American menu (they even serve black-eyed peas). Sadly it didn't open until the evening, by which time I was off on my next adventure. 

6 comments:

  1. Lol, 'soul' food in Wales. That makes me smile as much as the Pancho Villa restaurant on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. Pancho Villa was a Mexican revolutionary who operated on the US-Mexico border in the late 19th, early 20th century. As a native Texan, I was familiar with the name, but the people I asked on the street in Edinburgh had no idea. The restaurant serves Mexican food, which we would have been happy to enjoy had we not been on our way elsewhere. Here's the address if you're ever in Edinburgh and have a craving for delicious Mexican food: http://www.panchovillas.co.uk
    Harlech Castle is amazing and inspiring! I do hope to get there, someday. Thanks for sharing, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember that if I ever get back to Edinburgh. I must say, I had fabulous pizza twice on this trip. Who knew? Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Impressive, Mary! I would have climbed every stair, too! Love looking out and imagining what others would have witnessed hundreds of years ago. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is thrilling to visit these places that are hundreds of years old. In this country, there's nothing like it. I feel like I can absorb the past through my very pores. Glad you enjoyed my post.

      Delete
  3. Great photos, especially the one with you at the top of the tower! What an awesome trip you must have had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, especially the one with you at the top of the tower! What an awesome trip you must have had.

    ReplyDelete